Sunday, December 1, 2013

Eraser Dust



The love I had written for you has yellowed in the rain
I left it by the window, and autumn has come.

I never did find a stamp—
the space I had so carefully filled with your address
has lost itself with the envelope, long missing.
The paper spine is bent, worn
and insensible; the dog-eared corners,
creased into the ink, have become brittle:
It does no good to keep as a keepsake,
not anymore.

I have folded into my bags a ream
of crisp, unlined, printer paper—
I am nowhere without a pen.
In the lines she will read
gazing in my eyes

little will resemble
that scuffed-up bundle of pages
torn from a notebook.
There will be no nervous, broken bits of lead
(those terrible mechanical pencils
never could last);
no smudged words, no careless hand;
and even, perhaps,
no long line of mistakes
to hide in the trail of eraser dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment