I
Desert
I have not taken water today.
My tongue is swollen,
My throat parched.
My body is a desert.
But impossibly, these tears do not run dry.
They roll on, large, and heavy
salting this grieving earth
as if this were a fertile land
only now in ruin.
II
Poison
I have been found corrupt, a trickster.
The world dripped its venom on me;
and I writhed beneath that serpent.
When you arrived,
you caught the poison in a glass.
In time the ache will grow weaker,
And with every drop I quake a little less;
but you are still gone—
there was no one to hold a glass for you
to catch the poison that dripped from me.
III
Autumn
Only this season reeks of decay.
In winter it is buried;
in spring we wipe ourselves clean.
I am not lost, not yet. Please—
let me bury it;
let me wash it from my skin.
No comments:
Post a Comment